Showing posts with label DIY. Show all posts
Showing posts with label DIY. Show all posts

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

DIY House Wiring Corrections

Residential solar



Unless your home is new or was built in the last 5 years there’s a good chance you may have some kind of electrical components that are not up to code. Whether the problem is outdated electrical wiring or you purchased a house that was someone else’s flipper investment, or it just is a home that the previous owner liked to do all of their own remodel and maintenance, electrical wiring that is not up to code can put your home and family at risk.

Old Wiring

If your home happens to be really old you may encounter what is referred to as knob and tube wiring. When the home was built it was considered state-of-the-art electrical technology. Today knob and tube wiring is considered very dangerous because the wires aren’t grounded, the circuits support lower amperage than is needed today, and the wires feature insulation that disintegrates over time. Because of these issues, most insurance companies refuse to insure buildings with knob and tube wiring.


If your home was built before 1950 and the wiring hasn’t been updated, hire an electrician to inspect your home. A lot of home buyers sometimes are led to believe that the home inspector that came out to inspect the home before you purchased it, are licensed electricians or that they will catch everything that is a violation while they inspect your home. The truth is, most are not electricians, and even if they are, they can’t find every problem. If after you purchased your home and you find evidence that knob and tube wiring is present, you should have an electrical contractor come out to verify, and then most likely have that method of wiring removed and bring all of the house wiring up to current code. This can amount to a costly task, but when you are talking about the safety of your home and family, I feel that it is a necessary cost. If your are up to it you may find that some of this work you may be able to fix your self to help cut the cost. Just remember the whole point is to modernize the wiring and bring it up to code, so be sure you are aware of the latest codes if you decide to tackle some of the work yourself.

Adding New Light Fixtures

A common wiring issue that comes up while updating older homes is overheating existing house wiring after replacing light fixtures. New light fixtures can overload old wiring because they are rated to operate at a hotter temperature. Modern lights are manufactured with wires meant to withstand 90 degrees C, while old wires are rated for just 60 degrees C. So, what can happen after installing new lighting is that it can basically cook the old insulation off the existing wiring, which can cause shorts and or a fire.


If your home has wiring from before 1987, install a splice box and at least three feet of new wiring to connect a new light fixture to old wiring. This prevents you from having to rewire the entire circuit. If you’re unsure how old your wiring is, look for a date stamped on the insulation jacket. Wires manufactured after 1987 have a date; those made before 1987 have no date.

Non-IC Rated Can Lights

Recessed lights that come in direct contact with attic insulation must be IC-rated. Otherwise, you must keep three inches of space between the light and the insulation. When non-IC-rated lights touch insulation, they can overheat and stop working. Over time, thermal protectors may fail and allow the light to stay on despite extreme heat, potentially causing a fire.


Inspect the can lights. If you find that they are not IC rated, and that there is insulation coming in contact with them or closer than three inches, you will need to make sure that all insulation is at least three inches or more from the can lights. The other option is to replace them with IC-rated versions.

Illegal Wiring

Splices are some of the most common code violations when it comes to wiring. Most illegal splices happen when someone decides to add more receptacles or move light fixtures. If the splice is not made inside of an approved junction box then it is against code. So is trying to splice too many wires in a junction box that is not rated for the number of wires installed in it. Bigger is better when it comes to wire splicing, and it makes the wires easier to work on.


If you encounter illegal splices, then you will need to get an approved junction box to contain the spliced wires. Mount the junction box, run the wires into it, splice the conductors using the appropriate wire nuts and install a cover plate over the box.

In conclusion, we all like to save money. When it comes to our homes it seems like maintenance is that one thing that always cost more than we expect. So, if you do a little research and ask for some help usually you can cut down on the amount of money spent on your home improvements and emergency repairs. When it comes to electrical there really is a lot of things as a homeowner you can do yourself. If you fell it is out of ability to tackle an electrical problem yourself, and it looks to be a little too complicated, you should hire or at least consult an electrical contractor. In some cases, by having the professionals do it to start with is where the money will be saved.


House Remodel

Common Electrical Problems and Fixes

No matter if you own a home or are a renter, we all have different electrical problems that drive us nuts. The worst part is how long we with live with these annoying issues until we finally fix them. This is some of the most common ones that I most regularly get calls on to fix. Some of these you can do yourself as long as you feel confident and follow some simple DIY steps. If you are ever in doubt please call a certified electrician to help you remedy these common problems.

Loose Outlets

Outlets don't last forever especially the cheaper ones. To get started turn off the breaker. Double check that voltage to the outlet is off using a volt meter or just plug in a lamp and see when it goes off. Replace the outlet with the same one that you take out, or you can upgrade it to the most current code required receptacle like the tamper resistant style. Take notice as to where the wires are connected on the receptacle. The black wire is connected to the brass-colored screw and the white wire is connected on the silver-colored screw. Lastly the bare or in some cases the green wire goes to the green screw or ground terminal on the receptacle. Also, you may have an outlet that doesn't sit flush to the wall. To fix this issue there are several sheetrock shims or plaster ring products to remedy this problem.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

This could be a sign of a poor connection and can lead to eventual arcing – loose/corroded connections making intermittent contact that could result in sparking, overheating, and fire. In a case like this unless you have extensive electrical training your best bet is to call an electrical contractor.

Light Bulbs Burn Out Frequently

If you’re experience frequent bulb blowouts, it could be cheap light bulbs that are only rated 120volt. If you are still using incandescent bulbs in your home make sure they are 130volt rated. LED bulbs are the best way to avoid bulb burn outs. Recessed can lights that frequently fail? This could be a sign that the insulation is too close to the can light housing. Overheating can occur and these fixtures are designed to shut off when they get too hot to prevent fire.

Warm Outlets or Switches

Unless it is a dimming switch, Light switches and warm outlets are as a serious safety concern and should be addressed by a licensed electrician immediately.

Broken Light Switch

Turn off the circuit breaker (the light will go out when you choose the right one). Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the faceplate and a Phillips head to remove the light switch. Test the two wires connected to the screw for electricity. After you have verified that the power is off, remove the broken switch and install the new one.

Tripped Breakers or GFCI

Some electrical appliances, such as hairdryers, space heaters, vacuum, or griddle can frequently trip circuits. Go to your electrical panel to see if a breaker has tripped. If there is, turn it all the way to the off position and then back on. If there are no breakers off then check to see if there is a GFCI receptacle on the circuit that may need to be reset. Sometimes there may even be a GFCI or AFCI breaker that needs to be reset in your panel. It’s the breakers with the little yellow or green reset button. Reset the breaker. If this solves your power outage great! You now know where the problem is and how to get it back on. If you still get the same problem occurring then it’s time to call an electrician to see if you have an overloaded circuit or some other issue. Tripping breakers are to protect your wiring and appliances and also let you know there could be a problem on the circuit.


Solar, PVC, EMT and Corrosion

  You have to use the right equipment for the job that is suitable for the environmental conditions that it will be installed in. With elect...